There is nothing like getting up in the dim morning light to see a snow covered world with more falling magically in front of the streetlight. No school!
To think I almost said "No" to going out this morning! It seemed like so much work bundling up. What was I thinking? The city hum was dulled by the heavy coating, and we made the most awesome snowman. It was just like the cartoons, when characters just start rolling a snowball around and it grows exponentially. It was JUST LIKE THAT! The hardest part was hoisting giant snowball #2 onto giant snowball #1.
We love Ezra Jack Keats' The Snowy Day. and a most delightful video (originally a book) called "The Snowman" by Raymond Briggs. It's a 26 minute wordless story of an English boy who builds a snowman that comes to life that night and takes him on a magical adventure. The music is hauntingly beautiful and we watched the video until the tape broke. Sigh. If anyone ever sees it at a thrift store, I'll pay for it! My mom found our first one at a yard sale, I think. (Kudos to Mom for her amazing finds!)
The girls loved filling their hats with snow, then re-discovered the playhouse and slide, which have stood quietly at the back corner of our yard without visitors for the past few months.
Our snowman has likely not fared well in light of the rain later in the day and now more snow falling. He'd better not come alive tonight and come into the house, because there are enough messes around here to clean up after being house-bound. (Said just like a mother, wasn't it? Where's my sense of adventure and magic?? Ok. Snowman, come alive tonight. You'd be an interesting blog post, at least!)
4 comments:
Hi Tina - Again, so good to catch up on your blogging and with your family. I love reading about your world! :)
I am so sorry that you've suffered such sickness this winter, too. It's...difficult, isn't it? I thought we were over it, but today one of my little ones has another fever. Oh no!
Anyway, just wanted to say hello - and thanks for sharing your life and thoughts with me! :)
(())
Holly
I don't think our sickness was ANYTHING to The Great Flu of 2011 that the Johnsons went through! I'll take pinkeye, bronchitis, ear infections, and colds over the stomach flu any day. I hope you aren't headed for wave #2!
And know that I really enjoy reading about your world, too.
Monday was our FIRST snow day of the year. We have had some late starts and early outs, but we don't have to make those up. We do have to make on Monday on February 18. There goes my four day weekend.
LuraLynn, you've probably had WAY more snow than we have even though you've only had one snow day! You know how things are here in Baltimore. Sorry about your long weekend. :( At least you won't be teaching school well into June!
Post a Comment