I want to thank all of you who've been such encouragements to me over the question of school for the girls. The Lord has used your e-mails, prayers, and phone calls to remind me to trust Him and continually put our children in His hands.
This week Evelyn started Kindergarten at the Tunbridge School, a brand-new charter school 15 minutes from us. The school's focus is health and fitness, and she has lots of movement throughout the day. She looks adorable in her uniform--a school t-shirt paired w/black athletic shorts.
She says she likes it (although I never quite get her lunch right--it's usually "too short," which means it doesn't take her very long to eat it), and she's made some new friends (all boys.) She had an embarrassing moment in art class when she drew a picture of herself with last year's boyfriend, Isaiah, and the class giggled when she explained it to them. I told her kids often giggle when they hear about boyfriends and girlfriends, although I did feel a tweak in my heart for her.
Tunbridge starts at pre-K, and Amelia is currently #5 on the waiting list. We are hoping at some point this school year she will gain entrance, and until then, she is attending the same school we sent them to last year, and will be in the half-day pre-K at Calvary Lutheran, with the same teacher that Evelyn had last year. It's worked out well for her to be in a familiar place, and if she has to switch in the middle of the year, she'll at least be familiar with Tunbridge through the daily drop-offs of Evelyn. Plus, she'll know her sister is there.
Tunbridge uses a curriculum that promotes peace and wellness physically, emotionally, and socially, so there is a lot to like about the way they are learning to think about and interact with one another. There is a lot of positive reinforcement and praise, and I look forward to volunteering now and then to get a peek at it in action.
One thing I think about as my kids get older and move more and more out of the small circle of our family is how they are understanding and (hopefully!) owning their own faith. I read Bible stories with the girls each morning and we pray together--usually with some eye-rolling and heavy sighing (they'd much rather turn on the TV immediately!), and I am conscious as I interact with them to be overt in expressing my own decision-making processes, sharing prayers aloud, and talking openly about the Lord and His truths.
In a strange way I look forward to facing those inevitable circumstances with Evelyn and Amelia--as they realize that not everyone believes in Jesus or even God; that not everyone believes in "asking Him into your heart," or in eternal life. At some point we as believers step out of the comfort zone of people thinking we are "nice" or "wholesome" to where they think we are over-the-top or just plain weird.
And that's where love comes in. That's where I rest in the love of Jesus for me, and pray that I will love others in a way that will prove more than mere words ever could--that God is not only real, He's personal, and He longs for us to be close to Him.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the thoughts and counsel of those of you who've gone before us in the parenting process and are on the other side (or in the midst!) of these same experiences. It makes for good fellowship and GREAT encouragement.
Who knew the first week of school would elicit such thoughts?!?
3 comments:
I'm glad the Lord has directed you to schools for the girls, and you're right!--Evelyn's uniform is adorable!
Just think of the amazing impact your sweet, but bold little girl will have at that school! God is always faithful, even when we fear and stress.
Tina,
Our minds seem to have been in the same place recently. I look forward to (finally!) getting together so that we can chat about it. I'm praising the Lord that we can go through these times together and that our children can come back from the "world" to have fellowship with one another! Love you guys!
Jess
Post a Comment